Florida Department of Education's Basic Abilities Test for Individuals who desire to enter a basic recruit training program for law enforcement or corrections.
FDLE BATRegistration for the test is available online through Pearson VUE.
We recommend arriving at least thirty minutes before your appointment time.
You need to bring acceptable and not-expired forms of primary and secondary ID. Primary ID must be government issued and include the candidate's name, recent, recognizable photo, and signature. For rules on secondary ID please consult with Pearson VUE.
Examples of acceptable forms of primary identification:
- Driver’s license.
- A valid passport.
- Official state-issued identification card with photo.
- Federal identification card.
- Tribal identification card.
- Naturalization card or Certificate of Citizenship.
- Military identification card.
Examples of unacceptable forms of primary identification:
- Expired IDs from list above.
- Identification with signature only.
Work identification or badge.
- Temporary or paper driver’s license.
- Social Security card.
- Credit card with photo.
- School identification.
- Gym or club membership.
Candidates must submit accommodation requests to Pearson VUE, and they need to be approved before the appointment date.
Visit Pearson VUE's General Information page to find out how to request accommodations. The Pearson VUE Accommodations Team will schedule the appointments and make the necessary arrangements.
Visit FDLE Program's Accommodation page for more information.
The Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJBAT), developed by Industrial/Organizational Solutions (IOS), Inc., measures the defined “minimum competencies” in three separately-timed sections as follows:
- Section I - behavioral attributes
- Section II - memorization
- Section III – written comprehension, written expression, deductive reasoning, and inductive reasoning.
Florida Department of Law Enforcement Basic Abilities Test (BAT)
Florida Department of Law Enforcement
Research and Assessment Section
P.O. Box 1489
Tallahassee, Florida 32302-1489
Main Number: (850) 410-8602
- The test takes 90 minutes to complete.
- The test's sections are timed.
- There are 97 questions on the CJBAT.
- Candidates will need to create a Pearson VUE account before being able to register for an exam. The unique client candidate ID will be a nine alpha-numeric field. The prefix will be BAT followed by 6 numeric digits.
Please verify that you have created your web account with your legal name as it appears on your government-issued ID and that your personal information is correct. Contact Pearson VUE immediately to correct the spelling of your name or update your personal information if you notice any errors. It is very important that this information is correct, as it will appear as it was entered on the documentation provided to you after you have completed the exam.
All FDLE (BAT) exams should be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
All payments for exam fees are handled through Pearson VUE.
- Candidates can retake an exam only three times per year. They need to wait until the following year for another retake if they have retaken the exam three times already within the year.
- You may refer to an overview of the exam or the candidate handbook.