Hurricane Season runs from June 1st until November 30th. ITS has outlined a check list of things to do to prepare for a hurricane. This list contains resources that are of value for you at any time of the year. Please call out Help Desk (239) 590-1188 if you have any questions.
Ensure You Have a Backup
Don't wait until the day before a hurricane to back up your files! It’s a good practice to frequently backup your data files to a Network Drive or Microsoft One Drive to prevent loss of data, as well as to store it in a secure, safe place. Print a copy of your important/emergency contacts and take them with you in the event that you do not have access to them from your phone or computer, you’ll have them available to use.
To connect to OneDrive:
- Log into your FGCU webmail (https://www.outlook.com/fgcu.edu)
- Click on the App Launcher (top left corner, looks like a 3x3 grid)
- Click on the OneDrive app from the list of apps
- You can upload any file to the OneDrive by dragging and dropping them into the browser window
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BACKUP THE OPERATING SYSTEM FILES NOR PROGRAM FILES. If a computer needs to be recovered because of damage caused by disk failure or hardware failure, the operating system files and the standard enterprise wide program files such as Microsoft Office will be installed when the computer is re-imaged by ITS.
If you hold the physical installation media to non-enterprise wide software purchased through your department, consider making a copy of it, if you are licensed to do so. ITS does not keep copies of unique departmental software.
Secure Your Equipment
- Shutdown the computer if you are not required to remotely connect to it during the storm.
- If connected to a surge protector or UPS - unplug the surge protector or UPS from the wall outlet (or unplug power cables from the surge protector or UPS if wall outlet not accessible).
- If no surge protector – unplug the power cables from the wall outlet (or back of the computer if wall outlet is not accessible).
- There is no need to bag, move or cover equipment
- Power off the printer.
- If connected to a surge protector - unplug the surge protector from the wall outlet (or unplug power cable from the surge protector if wall outlet not accessible).
- If no surge protector – unplug the power cable from the wall outlet (or back of the printer if wall outlet is not accessible).
Network and University Resources
ITS will keep all mission critical systems in service as long as possible. However, certain services might be impacted during and after the storm.
Your FGCU Password
If your password has not been changed recently, you will want to make sure it does not expire while you are away from your office. ITS suggests changing your password, and also Enrolling in the Eagle Access Management System.
After The Storm
ITS will work as quickly as the circumstances permit to restore network connectivity and services throughout campus. As you reconnect your office equipment make sure to reconnect them to your surge protector or UPS as they were before. You can contact our Help Desk (239) 590-1188 for assistance with setting up your PC and peripherals.