EducationToggle EducationPhD, Economic History, Monash University, 1989
Grad. Dip. Ed., University of Melbourne, 1983
MA, History, La Trobe University, 1982
BA (Hons), La Trobe University, 1977
Research and Teaching InterestsToggle Research and Teaching InterestsThe Holocaust; Modern Jewish History; Genocide in the Modern World; the two World Wars; Europe in the 20th Century
Courses OfferedToggle Courses OfferedEUH 3241: The Holocaust
EUH 2031: Modern European History
WHO 3231: Genocide in World History
EUH 3465: History of Nazi Germany
HIS 4931: Persecution of "the Other"
EUH 6939: Graduate Seminar in European History
HIS 2301: History and Film
EUH 4682: Modern Jewish History
EUH 3572: History of Russia
EUH 3930: ST: Europe in World War II
IDS 3197: Reflecting on the Holocaust
HIS 4920: German History, 1870-Present
EUH 3206: The History of C20th Europe
HIS 3930: ST: History of Modern France
Books (partial list from 2012)
- Heroines of Vichy France: Rescuing French Jews during the Holocaust. Santa Barbara: Praeger, 2019.
- Perpetrating the Holocaust: Leaders, Enablers, and Collaborators. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2019.
- Modern Genocide: Analyzing the Controversies and Issues (Ed.). Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2019.
- The Evian Conference of 1938 and the Jewish Refugee Crisis, London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018.
- The Holocaust: An Encyclopedia and Document Collection (co-editor). Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2017 (4 volumes).
- Resisting the Holocaust: Upstanders, Partisans, and Survivors. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2016.
- The Bosnian Genocide: The Essential Reference Guide (Ed.). Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2016.
- Modern Genocide: The Definitive Resource and Document Collection (co-editor). Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2015 (4 volumes).
- Genocide: The Basics. Oxford: Routledge, 2015.
- Encountering Genocide: Personal Accounts from Victims, Perpetrators, and Witnesses. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2014.
- A Biographical Encyclopedia of Contemporary Genocide: Portraits of Evil and Good. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2012.
Articles (partial list from 2012)
- “Australia’s Participation and Performance at the Evian Conference: Integrity or Shame?” MGIMO Review of International Relations, vol. 4, 2018, pp. 153-167.
- “Four Women: Different Approaches to Resistance in the Concentration Camps during the Holocaust,” in Victoria Khiterer with Abigail S. Gruber (Ed.), Holocaust Resistance in Europe and America, Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2017, pp. 62-69.
- “Considering Genocide Testimony: Three Case Studies from the Armenian, Pontic, and Assyrian Genocides,” in George N. Shirinian (ed.), Genocide in the Ottoman Empire: Armenians, Assyrians, and Greeks, 1913-1923, New York: Berghahn, 2017, pp. 135-157.
- “'Who Remembers the Armenians?’ Adolf Hitler and the Armenian Genocide,” in Carol Rittner (ed.), Teaching about the Holocaust and Genocide: Essays by Ida E. King Distinguished Visiting Scholars to Honor the Memory of Dr. Vera King Farris, Galloway (NJ): Stockton University, 2016, pp. 19-23.
- “Film,” and “What Kinds of Classrooms?”, in Carol Rittner and John K. Roth (ed.), Teaching about Rape in War and Genocide, Houndmills, Basingstoke (UK): Palgrave Macmillan, 2015, pp. 78-79 and 89-91.
- “Considering the Holocaust and Genocide: Is there a Difference, and Does it Matter?”, in Nancy E. Rupprecht and Wendy Koenig (ed.), Global Perspectives on the Holocaust: History, Identity, Legacy, Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2015, pp. 294-304.
- “Realpolitik: The Major Impediment to the Prevention and Intervention of Genocide,” (co-author with Samuel Totten), in Samuel Totten (ed.), Impediments to the Prevention and Intervention of Genocide, New Brunswick (NJ): Transaction Publishers, 2013, pp. 7-30.
- “Political Realism, Sovereignty and Intervention: Is Genocide Prevention Really Possible in a World of Nation States?”, in Deborah Mayersen and Annie Pohlman (ed.), Genocide and Mass Atrocities in Asia: Legacies and Prevention, London: Routledge, 2013, pp. 119-135.
- “Getting the Terminology Right: Genocide, Ethnic Cleansing, and Crimes against Humanity in Biafra,” in Chima J. Korieh (ed.), The Nigeria-Biafra War: Genocide and the Politics of Memory, Amherst (NY): Cambria Press, 2012, pp. 43-59.
- “Genocide, Rape, and the Movies,” in Carol Rittner and John K. Roth (ed.), Rape: Weapon of War and Genocide, St. Paul (MN): Paragon House, 2012, pp. 177-194.
- “Righteousness in the Face of Evil,” in Colin Tatz (ed.), Genocide Perspectives IV: Essays on Holocaust and Genocide, Sydney: Australian Institute for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, 2012, pp. 465-490.
- “Massacre and the Movies: Soldier Blue and the Sand Creek Massacre of 1864,” in Kristi M. Wilson and Tomas Crowder-Taraborrelli (ed.), Film and Genocide, Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2012, pp. 109-212.
Conference PresentationsToggle Conference Presentations
Conference Presentations (partial list from 2012)
- “`Othering’ Minorities in Advance of Genocide: Developing an Environment of Hate in the Ottoman Empire, Nazi Germany, and Hutu Power Rwanda,” delivered at Freedom, Speech, and Society conference, Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL, March 15, 2019.
- “Oral Testimony and Dominating Arguments: A Case Study from the Holocaust,” delivered at Memory and Narrative: Oral History of World War II on the Home Front, A Public Conference, Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL, February 21-22, 2019.
- “Twice Lucky: Kindertransport Youth Sent to Australia on the Dunera in 1940,” delivered at The Kindertransport 80 Years On: Critical Approaches to Kidertransport Research and Historiography conference, UCL Institute of Advanced Studies, London, January 22-24, 2019.
- “Mobilizing Diversity: The Formation of Australia’s 8th Employment Company as a Response to the Japanese Threat in 1942,” delivered at Manpower and the Armies of the British Empire in the Two World Wars Conference, Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston, ONT, Canada, 8-9 November 2018.
- “An Infamous Sisterhood: Profiles of Female SS Guards in Nazi Concentration Camps during the Holocaust,” delivered at Ethel LeFrak Triennial Holocaust Conference on “Women, the Holocaust, and Genocide,” National Catholic Center for Holocaust Education, Seton Hill University, Greensburg, PA, October 21-23, 2018.
- “Fear of a ‘Second Kristallnacht:’ The View from British Diplomats in Germany in Late 1938,” delivered at Midwest Jewish Studies Association, 30th Annual Conference, Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership, Chicago, IL, October 21-22, 2018.
- “Learning the Lessons of Evian: The Dominions and the Commonwealth, Then and Now,” delivered at Flüchtlingskrise 1938 und Heute? Zur Aktualität der Internationalen Flüchtlingskonferenz von Evian, 1938, Gedenkstätte Deutcher Widerstand, Berlin, Germany, September 20, 2018.
- “In the Belly of the Beast: The Excavation and Transformation of the Headquarters of the Nazi Regime in Berlin,” delivered at “The Archaeology of War” conference, Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney, NSW, Australia, June 22-23, 2018.
- “'The war will be continued until it’s won, that’s our destiny:’ None Shall Escape (1944) and Operation Eichmann(1961) as Predictive Movies about the Holocaust,” delivered at Western Jewish Studies Association Annual Conference, Claremont-McKenna College, Claremont, CA, March 26-27, 2017.
- “Why the Holocaust Still Matters,” delivered at History, Memory, and Justice Conference, Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL, March 24-25, 2017.
- “Integrating The Quarrel and/or God on Trial into a Holocaust History Curriculum,” delivered at Annual Film and History Conference (Jewish Film Area), Milwaukee, WI, October 26-30, 2016.
- “A Snapshot of Goodness: Ernst Leitz II, the Leica Camera Company, and Jewish Rescue during the Holocaust,” delivered at 2016 Midwest Jewish Studies Association Conference, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO, September 10-12, 2016
- “Holocaust Awareness and Australian Jewish Involvement in Aboriginal Civil Rights: Active and Passive?”, delivered at The Holocaust and the Struggle for Civil Rights Conference, University of Sussex, UK, April 14-15, 2016
- “St. Hedwig’s Cathedral, Berlin, as a Focus of Anti-Nazi Opposition during the Holocaust,” delivered at 34th Millersville University Conference on the Holocaust and Genocide, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Lancaster, PA, April 6-8, 2016
- “2 x 36 = 72: Munich and the Shadow of the Berlin Games,” delivered at The Nazi Games: The Berlin Olympics after 80 Years Conference, Florida Gulf Coast University, March 29-30, 2016
- “The Boxer and the Cyclist: Two Elite Sportsmen who Saved Jewish Lives during the Holocaust,” delivered at 12th International Holocaust Conference, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, October 20-23, 2015
- “Saying No: The Many and Varied Forms of Resistance during the Shoah,” delivered at Midwest Jewish Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, October 18-19, 2015
- “Conflicted Nazis during the Holocaust: Perpetrators as Resisters and Rescuers,” delivered at Encountering Perpetrators of Mass Killings, Political Violence, and Genocide Conference, University of Winchester, United Kingdom, September 1-3, 2015
- “ANZAC Jews from Australia and New Zealand during the Great War: The Search for Recognition,” delivered at Western Jewish Studies Association Annual Conference, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, May 13-14, 2015
- “Saving Many through the Sacrifice of Some: Complicity to Some Purpose during the Holocaust, the Case of Walter Lustig,” delivered at: Great Lakes History Conference, Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI, October 10-11, 2014
- “Another Shade of Grey: Kurt Gerstein, SS Mass Murderer and (Almost) Righteous Gentile,” delivered at Midwest Jewish Studies Association Annual Conference, Kent State University, Kent, OH, September 14-15, 2014
- “Britain and the Outbreak of the Second World War: The Case of Sir Nevile Henderson,” delivered at War is Declared! September 1939 Symposium, Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL, September 2, 2014
- “An Icelandic Jewish Saga: Tears of Stone and the Story of Jón and Annie Leifs,’ delivered at Western Jewish Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, May 4-5, 2014
- “Confronting the Nazis in the Concentration Camp: Roza Robota, Sylvia Salvesen, and Alma Rosé – Three Approaches to Resistance,” delivered at 33rd Millersville University Conference on the Holocaust and Genocide, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Lancaster, PA, April 2-4, 2014
- “The Dilemmas of Helping: Goodness on Trial in Hungary during the Shoah,” delivered at: The Holocaust in Hungary, 70 Years On: New Perspectives, Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL, March 16-18, 2014
- “Film: Whether/When to Use It,” delivered at Teaching about Rape as a Weapon of War and Genocide Seminar, Campion Hall, University of Oxford, March 8-12, 2014
- “'The past still haunts me today:’ Reading Survivor Accounts of Genocide from a Safe Distance,” delivered at Genocide Studies: Sound, Image, Archive Workshop, University of Newcastle, UK, November 8, 2013
- “The Bitter-Sweet Jew in Holocaust Movies: Genghis Cohn, the Jewish Barber, and Schlomo the Idiot,” delivered at Midwest Jewish Studies Association Annual Conference, Spertus Institute, Chicago, IL, October 20-21, 2013
- “The Ambiguities of Compliance: Developing Nazi Antisemitism as a Civic Good,” delivered at 11th International Holocaust Conference, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, October 15-18, 2013
- “Acts of Goodness in the Face of Genocide: Jewish Leadership in Sarajevo and Mostar, 1992-1995,” delivered at Resisting the Path to Genocide: Individual Resistance? Workshop, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, September 26-28, 2013
- “Jewish Refugee Rescue before World War II: Judging Failure, or Seeking Understanding?”, delivered at The Future of Holocaust Studies Conference, University of Southampton/University of Winchester, United Kingdom, July 29-31, 2013
- “Considering Genocide Testimony: Three Case Studies from the Armenian, Pontic, and Assyrian Genocides,” delivered at The Ottoman Turkish Genocides of Anatolian Christians: A Common Case Study Conference, Holocaust Museum and Education Center, Skokie, IL, May 10-11, 2013
- “’Negating’ and ‘Minimizing’ the Holocaust: the Perceived Sins of a Genocide Scholar,” delivered at Annual Scholars’ Conference on the Holocaust and the Churches Think Tank, American Jewish University, CA, March 16-18, 2013
- “Thousands of Tears in a World of Pain: Survivor Testimony and the Guatemalan Genocide of 1982,’ delivered at Hispanic Heritage Month Academic Seminar, New Directions in the Social and Political History of Colombia and Latin America, Florida Gulf Coast University Fort Myers, FL, October 18, 2012.
- “When Good Breaks Out during Genocide: Case Studies of Heroic Acts in the Face of Evil,” delivered at 3rd Global Conference on Genocide, International Network of Genocide Scholars, San Francisco State University, San Francisco CA, June 28-July 1, 2012.
- “The Wannsee Conference: A Decision, or a Confirmation?”, delivered at 42nd Annual Scholars’ Conference on the Holocaust and the Churches, Monroe Community College, Rochester, NY, May 12-14, 2012.
- “The Seventh Cross (1944) and the Cinematic Concentration Camp,” delivered at Western Jewish Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, March 25-26, 2012.
Grants & AwardsToggle Grants & Awards
- Society for Military History, Distinguished Book Award (Reference) for 2018 for The Holocaust: An Encyclopedia and Document Collection, 2017
- Association of Jewish Libraries Judaica Reference Award for 2017 for The Holocaust: An Encyclopedia and Document Collection, 2017
- Reference and User Services Association Award for Outstanding Reference Work 2016 for Modern Genocide: The Definitive Resource and Document Collection, 2016.
- Choice Outstanding Academic Title for Modern Genocide: The Definitive Resource and Document Collection, 2016.
- Choice Outstanding Academic Title for A Biographical Encyclopedia of Contemporary Genocide: Portraits of Evil and Good, 2013.
- Assyrian Community of Victoria Excellence Award, 2011.
- Friend of the Armenian Community, Melbourne, 2008.
- Supported Researcher, University of South Australia, 1996.
- Nomination for United States National Jewish Book Award for False Havens: The British Empire and the Holocaust, 1995.
- Honorary Life Membership, Jewish Museum of Australia, 1990.