EducationPhD in Geology, University of Albany
BS in Environmental Geology, SUNY New Paltz
Ophiolites, Volcanic Arcs, Petrology, Tectonics, and Earth Science Education
GLY 1010C Physical Geology, GLY 3202C Mineralogy & Petrology, and GLY 3420C Tectonics
- MacDonald, J.H., Jr., and Dragovich, J. D., 2015, Sedimentary geochemistry of the Peshastin Formation and Darrington Phyllite, Cascade Mountains, Washington State: Provenance, tectonic setting, and regional implications, in Anderson, T.H., Didenko, A.N., Johnson, C.L., Khanchuk, A.I., and MacDonald, J.H., Jr., eds., Late Jurassic Margin of Laurasia—A Record of Faulting Accommodating Plate Rotation: Geological Society of America Special Paper 513, p. 441–460, doi:10.1130/2015.2513(12).
Metzger, E.P., Miller, R.B., Harper, G.D., and MacDonald, J.H., Jr., 2016, Geochemistry of mafic rocks in the Crystalline core of the north Cascades and possible correlatives: Tectonic implications: in, Cheney, E.S., ed., The Geology of Washington and Beyond: from Laurentia to Cascadia: University of Washington Press, p. 156-180.
- MacDonald, J.H., Jr., and, Schoonmaker, A., 2017, Evidence of a Late Jurassic ridge subduction event: Geochemistry and age of the Quartz Mountain stock, Manastash inlier, central Cascades, Washington: Journal of Geology, v. 125, p. 423–438, doi.org/10.1086/692099.
MacDonald, J.H., Jr., Dragovich, J., Pecha, M., Thompson, G.T., Stingu, S.C., Maruszczak, A.D., Zalud, K.M., and, Milliken, S.H., 2017, Mesozoic terranes of the central Cascades: Geology of the Hicks Butte complex, Easton Metamorphic Suite, Peshastin Formation and Ingalls ophiolite complex, in Haugerud, R.A., and Kelsey, H.M., eds., From the Puget Lowland to East of the Cascade Range: Selected Geologic Excursions in the Pacific Northwest: Geological Society of America Field Guide 49, p. 79–100, doi:10.1130/2017.0049(05).
- MacDonald, J.H., Jr., Harper, G.D., and Zhu, B., 2006, Petrology, geochemistry, and provenance of the Galice Formation, Klamath Mountains, Oregon–California, in Snoke, A.W., and Barnes, C.G., eds., Geological studies in the Klamath Mountains province, California and Oregon: Boulder, Colorado, Geological Society of America Special Paper 410, p. 77-101.
- MacDonald, J.H., Jr., Harper, G.D., Miller, R.B., Miller, J.S., Mlinarevic, A.N., and Schultz, C.E., 2008, The Ingalls ophiolite complex, central Cascades, Washington: Geochemistry, tectonic setting, and regional correlations, in Wright, J.E., and Shervais, J.W., eds., Ophiolites, Arcs, and Batholiths: A Tribute to Cliff Hopson: Geological Society of America Special Paper 438, p. 133–159.
- MacDonald, J.H., Jr., Harper, G.D., Miller, R.B., Miller, J.S., Mlinarevic, A.N., and Miller, B.V., 2008, Geochemistry and geology of the Iron Mountain unit, Ingalls ophiolite complex, Washington: Evidence for the polygenetic nature of the Ingalls complex, in Wright, J.E., and Shervais, J.W., eds., Ophiolites, Arcs, and Batholiths: A Tribute to Cliff Hopson: Geological Society of America Special Paper 438, p. 161–173.
- MacDonald, J. H., Jr., 2008, editor, GLY 1000C: Physical and Historical Geology Manual: Plymouth, Michigan, Hayden-McNeil Publishing, 108 p., ISBN 978-0-7380-2885-9
- Anderson, T.H., Didenko, A.N., Johnson, C.L., Khanchuk, A.I., and MacDonald, J.H., Jr., eds., 2015, Late Jurassic Margin of Laurasia—A Record of Faulting Accommodating Plate Rotation: Boulder, Colorado, Geological Society of America Special Paper 513, 606 p., ISBN 978-0-8137-2513-0
Grants & Awards
- NSF Transforming Undergraduate Education in STEM, Type 2: Collaborative: Expanding the Use of Online Remote Electron Microscopy in the Classroom to Transform Undergraduate Geoscience Education: Primary Investigator, 2013 – 2018, Ryan, J, Co-PI, Hickey-Vargas, R., Co-PI, MacDonald, J., Co-PI, Beck, M., $625,344 total awarded
- American Association for the Advancement of Science and National Science Foundation's Division of Undergraduate Education invited symposium: Envisioning the Future of Undergraduate STEM Education: Research and Practice, invited to present science education research.
- NSF Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Pathways into Geoscience (IUSE: GEOPATHS -EXTRA): GP-EXTRA: Establishing high-impact curriculum to attract and retain students in a new environmental geology program, pilot project, 2019-2021, MacDonald, lead-PI, Abercrombie, Barbosa, Muller, and Savarese, Co-PIs, $150,000
Jamie MacDonald has worked at Florida Gulf Coast University since 2007. He has extensive curriculum development experience in Geology. He teaches courses and conducts research focused on “hard rock” problems. He has worked primarily in the Washington Cascades on Mesozoic and Eocene tectonic problems, as well as some neotectonics projects involving active and potentially active faults.