Promoting leadership and ethical action in students, employees, and citizens
- The annual FGCU Rist Family Foundation High School Ethics Case Competition;
- The annual Distinguished Speaker in Ethics Series;
- The annual Celebrating Ethical Leadership in Southwest Florida event featuring the three organizational finalists for the Uncommon Friends Foundation Business Ethics Award;
- FGCU student participation in multiple national and regional ethics case competitions during the year;
- And more!
Character education is about celebrating and teaching positive human qualities, qualities that lead to productive lives and a thriving society. Good character doesn’t just happen; it must be taught and modeled. Many states, in fact, mandate the teaching of character education in schools. Uncommon Friends Foundation is dedicated to character education and has as its mission instilling ethics, moral values, and a sense of purpose in tomorrow’s leaders. The foundation’s character education program teaches such traits as honesty, integrity, friendship, cooperation, and perseverance.
Dr. Eric B. Dent is all about leadership and ethics. He serves as Eminent Scholar, Professor and Uncommon Friends Endowed Chair in Ethics Lutgert College of Business at Florida Gulf Coast University. He is a consultant to Fortune 500, government, and non-profit organizations as well as an invited speaker to national audiences. Dr. Dent now provides leadership and ethical consulting as an Executive Coach, Management Consultant, Professor, Speaker, and Scholar. He is committed to an interdisciplinary research agenda and has publications in journals of leadership, consulting, philosophy, workplace spirituality, history, communications, psychology, education, and others
Eric B. Dent, Ph. D.
Office: Lutgert Hall 2318
Phone: (239) 590-7162
The Uncommon Friends Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the ethical culture in Southwest Florida businesses through its endowed Chair of Business Ethics at Florida Gulf Coast University, currently held by Dr. Eric Dent. The FGCU Chair of Business Ethics is funded by an endowment through the Uncommon Friends Foundation and initially launched in 2006 with a generous gift from UFF board member Bob Taylor. As a result of this Chair position, all FGCU business majors are required to take classes in ethics.
In offices and boardrooms across America, businessmen and women are working hard at more than just improving company profits—they are shaping the character, work ethics and integrity of their corporate culture. UFF helps support this effort through business ethics roundtables and a our annual Business Ethics Award that goes to an outstanding business that exhibits a commitment to business ethics at all levels of the organization, among its industry peers, and within its community. The Business Ethics Award is presented in conjunction with the Florida Gulf Coast University Chair of Business Ethics to a Southwest Florida business that exemplifies the highest standards of ethical behavior throughout the organization and in its dealings with the public. The finalists participate in a special Business Ethics luncheon hosted in conjunction with Florida Gulf Coast University that is held at FGCU in early fall. The winner is then announced at the Uncommon Friends Foundation’s annual Uncommon Evening event held in the fall at the Burroughs Home & Gardens in Fort Myers.
- When does sex become a professional problem?
- Instead of censorship, misinformation should die on vine
- Rajmohan Gandhi deliver's FGCU's annual lecture in ethics
- FGCU Excels in the international Templeton Business Ethics Case Competition
- Rist Family Foundation High School Ethics Invitational 2022
- What Defines Social Responsibility
- Dr. Dent presents at “Heaven Starts on Earth" from the business perspective, matching the theme of the exhibit by Erwin Eisch
Business Ethics and the B Corp Movement - Canopy Talks - January 2021
- Ellie Newton Life Cartoon
- Gandhi's message resonates today
- Green Swans and SWFL
- Tribute to Peter B. Vaill (1936-2020)
FGCU BUSINESS ETHICS CASE COMPETITION WINNERS NAMED
Columns & Articles
FGCU Ethics Competition Team
- Southeast Regional Business Ethics Competition FGCU 2017
- FGCU Finishes Divisional Runner-up in the Southeast Regional Business Ethics Case Competition
- FGCU Business Ethics Competition Team is runner-up in Regional Ethics Competition -- Uncommon Friends Foundation Chair of Business Ethics leads first-ever FGCU team
Distinguished Ethics Speaker Series
Dr. Mark Livingston
Ethics Speakers at FGCU
FGCU's Newton Collection Digital Archive