The Whitaker Center works with faculty interested in STEM Education, STEM scholarship, and STEM researchWe can assist faculty with:
- Incorporating evidence-based teaching practices into your classroom (SPARCT FLC, book clubs)
- Mini-grants to support for your STEM Education research or presentation
- Mini-grants to support student travel to present their research
- External grant development (We are happy to review proposals, suggest pieces for Broader Impacts, or assist with proposal evaluation – contact us!)
- Provide summer scholarships for research students
When teaching, should we ask or should we tell?
For STEM, the research says we should ask.
Program and Grants
Responsibilities of membership are outlined in the Whitaker Center Proposal approved in 2004 by the Deans of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) and the College of Education (COE), the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP), the University President, the President’s Executive Cabinet, and the Board of Governors (BOG). Under this agreement all faculty in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) areas including STEM education qualify for Whitaker Center faculty membership.
Membership is voluntary and verified by faculty Professional Development Plans (PDPs). All teaching, scholarship, and service activities listed in a faculty PDP that are related to STEM education and the goals of the Whitaker Center substantiate membership. Faculty are credited for contributing to the goals of their college, the Whitaker Center, and the University simultaneously.
The expectation outlined in this agreement is that all STEM education grant proposals will be submitted in consultation with the Whitaker Center. This agreement does not extend to discipline specific research or educational research outside of the STEM areas.
Read more details of the responsibilities for membership approved by the Leadership Team August 2013.
Membership does not require an application, it only requires that you report your STEM Education activities to the Whitaker Center when requested to do so.