Florida Gulf Coast University and Florida SouthWestern State College Leadership Enrichment Program
Florida Gulf Coast University and Florida SouthWestern State College collaborate to provide an interactive leadership program to help staff and faculty enhance leadership competencies and embrace the challenges of leading in a post-secondary environment.
The Leadership Enrichment Program is designed to
- Increase self-awareness about individual leadership style, skills, and impact on others
- Improve communication, conflict resolution and management skills, and relationship-building skills for inspiring, engaging and motivating other team members
- Build campus-wide networks and increase understandings, partnerships, and alignment with FGCU’s and FSW’s missions
Students will design a capstone project that demonstrates understandings about the skills learned throughout the program.
The program focuses on five themes
1. Leaders as models. Great leaders demonstrate excellence and encourage others to follow goals, adopt principles about how others should be treated, and create opportunities for success.
2. Leaders inspire a shared vision. Great leaders have a clear vision about what the future should hold, are passionate about that ideal image, and get others excited about sharing in working towards that vision.
3. Leaders as change agents. Great leaders are innovative, take calculated risks, are strategic decision-makers, and learn from mistakes and failure.
4. Leaders as collaborators. Great leaders are strong team builders and understand the value of respect, strengthening and empowering others, and fostering collaboration.
5. Leaders are principled. Great leaders have strong, positive values and demonstrate principled decision-making and actions.
Students must commit to attending all 8 sessions.
Program participants must:
- Be employed full time at Florida Gulf Coast University or Florida SouthWestern State College.
- Have at least an Associate’s degree.
- Make a commitment to attend all sessions of the program.
- Have permission from their supervisor to participate in the program.
Applicants must complete the application, provide a personal statement and a recommendation from their supervisor. Applicants will be selected based on their personal statements and the recommendation from their supervisor. 12 participants will be selected from both FGCU and FSW.
Please view/print/download application for 2019-2020:Word Format PDF Format
Application deadline is September 2, 2019 at noon
Applications should be sent by email to both Ms. McKay and Ms. Bronstein.
If assistance is needed due to a disability, please contact Monique McKay at 239-590-1022 at least 72 hours prior to the start of the event.
“I cannot express how much I grew as both a person and a leader during this program that seemed to move by so quickly. The information that was passed on, the networking that took place and the collaboration with such an awesome group of people made this program invaluable.”
Amy S. English, M.S.
Academic Support Center Specialist, Florida Southwestern State College
“The FGCU/FSW Leadership Enrichment Program was such a valuable experience for me personally and professionally. The interactive learning experiences and discussions expanded my understanding of leadership and allowed me to learn from the other participants as well as the program facilitators. I made lasting friendships and professional contacts that will forever positively impact my life. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity!”
Meredith Nassif Doupé
Director of Development, Florida Southwestern State College Foundation, Collier Campus
“The Leadership Enrichment Program is without question the most powerful experience I have had in my four years at FGCU. Informative, participatory, thought-provoking, and even gut-wrenching at times, this program will draw out the leader in you, newly enriched with wisdom and insight.”
Head of Technical Services, Library Collections Management, Florida Gulf Coast University
“The Leadership Enrichment program co-sponsored with Florida Southwestern was by far the most engaging and collaborative experience in leadership development that I personally have ever taken part in. I learned so much about myself, my strengths and weaknesses, and about recognizing and embracing the different leadership styles of others. I only wish that at times we had more than just a half-day session! So many great things to explore and learn about.. so little time! Thank you for a great experience!”
Undergraduate Studies, Florida Gulf Coast University