Tropical Storm Nicole - Advisory 3 | Nov. 9, 2022
Southwest Florida remains outside the forecast cone for Tropical Storm Nicole and its extending wind field, where tropical-storm-force winds are most likely. While we will still see an uptick in wind and rain overnight and into Thursday, our region is most concerned about the ongoing impacts of Hurricane Ian, including roadside debris that has the potential of being picked up by strong gusts of wind.
With this in mind, FGCU has decided to modify campus operations Thursday.
ACADEMICS | All academic classes will shift to remote learning Thursday. Faculty, please prepare to transition your planned instruction to a remote method that makes the most sense for your course needs. Students, look for communication from your instructors on what this will look like for your class.
EMPLOYEES | Thursday will be a remote day, similar to how we managed work during the COVID-19 pandemic. Administrative offices will be available via a remote environment, and campus will remain open for activated essential personnel. If remote work isn’t possible for your role at the university, please address this with your supervisor to create an alternative plan, which can include using leave time or making up the time missed on another day.
RESIDENTIAL | All services meant to sustain students living on campus will operate Thursday. There is no evacuation of residential students, and housing offices will remain open.
- Student Health Services: Open for modified hours Thursday. Call ahead for appointments at (239) 590-7966.
- Counseling and Psychological Services: Remote operations. For more information, call (239) 590-7950 or email email@example.com.
- University Recreation & Wellness Center: Open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday. Aquatics and Waterfront will be closed.
- Cohen Student Union: Open 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Bookstore: Closed, but items can be purchased online.
- Campus dining: Modified hours are as follows:
- Einstein Bros. Bagel: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- SoVi Dining: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- North Lake Boardwalk Restaurant: 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
LIBRARY | The Wilson G. Bradshaw Library will be closed to on-campus activity Thursday.
CAMPUS EVENTS |All meetings and events are encouraged to meet remotely Thursday.
Please contact individual offices or departments if you have questions about operational plans Thursday. To be clear, this is a one-day modification. There is no change to weekend activities, including Saturday classes and events. Friday was already a planned day off for non-essential services in honor of Veterans Day.
Many of our faculty, staff and students were severely impacted by Hurricane Ian. If you are in need of a safe place to shelter during the storm, please check with the county in which you reside for details about open shelters:
As needed, FGCU will issue emergency communications by text and email. The information will also appear on our branded social media pages and be posted to our Emergency Management website.
Stay safe, Eagles!