This certificate is intended for those who wish to pursue a career as a K12 media center specialist but do not need to earn a masters’ degree. The program of courses matches closely with those required for media center endorsement by the state of Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) 6a-4.0251 plan Two:
A bachelor's or higher degree with thirty (30) semester hours in educational media or library science to include credit in the areas specified below:
(a) Management of library media programs;
(b) Collection development. Courses in this area include: evaluation, selection, and maintenance of library media resources in print and non-print formats;
(c) Library media resources. Courses in this area include: literature in both print and non-print formats for both children and adolescents;
(d) Reference sources and services. Courses in this area include: print and electronic resources and techniques for providing information services;
(e) Organization of collections. Courses in this area include: classification and cataloging principles and techniques; and
(f) Design and production of educational media.
- Submission of a FGCU Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Application to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- A grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 semester hours attempted accruing to the undergraduate degree.
- Graduation from a baccalaureate level program or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university documented by official transcripts.
- International applicants from countries where English is not the official language, are required to submit official English proficiency test scores: TOEFL exam (minimum score of 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, or 79 internet-based) or IELTS exam (minimum score of 6.5).
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete the minimum number of credit hours specified by the certificate program.
- A grade of B or higher must be earned in all College of Education graduate courses used as prerequisites and each core course.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all coursework in the program.
Required Courses (15 credits)
EME 6209 Still and Time Based Media (3)
EME 6609 Instructional Media Resources (3)
EME 6675 Design for Informal Learning (3)
EME 6705 Collection and Acquisition (3)
EME 6716 Media Services and Programs (3)
Total Semester Hours Required: 15 Hours