The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for education expenses.Students must complete the FAFSA each year in order to determine eligibility for the program.
The rate of pay is at least the current federal minimum wage but can be higher depending on the type of work the student performs and the skills required. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undegreaduate/ 5 credits for graduate) in a degree-seeking program and must be meeting satisfactory academic progress to be eligible for the program.
To Check Your Eligibility
- Submit a FWS eligibility request (below).
- The Financial Aid office will reply via email to the student with eligibility information.
- Students must have a completed, official FAFSA in order to determine Federal Work Study (FWS) eligibility.
- Once FWS eligibility has been confirmed by the Financial Aid Office, the student may then pursue a FWS position.
- Confirmation of FWS eligibility does not guarantee the student a FWS position.
- For a list of available employment positions, students may visit Eagle Career Link.
Important Note: Federal Work Study Program Student Eligibility for 18-19 (August 2018-Summer 2019) becomes available mid-May. You must submit a new request at that time.
Federal Work Study Information for Departments
Departments interested in hiring FWS students must submit their request through the Financial Aid website by completing the Federal Work Study Department Request Form. This form requires hiring managers to indicate the number of desired FWS positions for the 2017-2018 year. Please do not provide student names at this time, only the number of desired positions. Federal Work Study Requests must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid by May 1, 2017.
The Office of Financial Aid will notify the final number of approved positions to each department that submitted a request by May 5, 2017. After this date, departments may begin recruiting and identifying students for approved positions and submit EPAFs. The employment period for 2017-2018 FWS is August 21, 2017 through May 4, 2018.
Submission of the Federal Work Study Request Form does not guarantee FWS positions.
Departments are responsible for advertising and recruiting for their FWS positions. Please view instructions on posting a position.